At Sustainable Economies Law Center (the Law Center), we want nothing more than to see the number of new urban agriculture projects and enterprises explode all across the country! To facilitate the growth of the urban agriculture movement, we offer this website as a collection of resources on laws and regulations that regulate who, how, and where urban agriculture can occur. As a collaborative effort, the content on UrbanAgLaw.org is created by a group of legal professionals and law students, and the site is curated by the Law Center.
Also, check out these handy guides we’ve created for people interested in starting new worker-owned enterprises and food justice enterprises!
- UK: Brighton & Hove Allotment Strategy 2014-2024Brighton & Hove?s allotment community is comprised of 6000 food growers with 3100 plots on 37 sites. Brighton & Hove City Council Brighton & HoveAllotment Federation 2014 Excerpt: The strategy emphasises increasing the number of people growing high quality local food by ensuring the availability of good quality land. It promotes a self- sustaining and... Read more »
- City of Toledo, Ohio offers vacant lot to urban farmerThomas Jackson cleans up a pile of wood chips, branches, and tree stumps in an attempt to beautify the neighborhood around his Milburn Avenue home in Toledo. The site is OK for mulch, not growing By Tom Troy The Blade Feb 17, 2017 Excerpt: Mr. Jackson said city officials are trying to work with him, and... Read more »
- ‘Australian Farmers Direct’ Want Families To Stop Urban Farming[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDTruR_Z2nY&w=425&h=341] Three new advertisements parody city farming: “Let us take care of the farming” Ad News Feb 22, 2017 (Must see. Mike) Excerpt: Australian Farmers Direct has launched a multichannel campaign showing families how to grocery shop in a way that benefits farmers. Rolling out across a series of TVCs and out of home... Read more »
- Historic farmhouse in Boston will serve as headquarters of the Urban Farming InstituteCourtesy Historic Boston Incorporated. Renovations underway on historic Fowler Clark Epstein farmhouse By Yawu Miller The Bay Street Banner Feb 15, 2017 Excerpt: Since September, work crews have been busy tackling decades of paint that adorns the 18th century face of Mattapan’s Fowler Clark Epstein Farm. They have embarked upon a historical restoration of the building... Read more »
- Canada: Strathcona County – Urban Agriculture StrategyUrban agriculture is easily accessed and seen in Strathcona County; it contributes to creating a healthy, livable community by helping to grow food, relationships, and economy in our community. Community Food Lab Intelligent Futures Autumn 2016 Excerpt: Urban conditions such as typically smaller available land area and diverse neighboring land uses mean that urban farms... Read more »
- Student Explores Urban Ag At Penn State Philadelphia CenterImage: Penn State Sara Touey, a Community, Environment, and Development major, studied urban farming — a subject that’s relatively new to the agricultural world — during her internship at the Penn State Center in Philadelphia. By Anna Criswell Penn State News February 15, 2017 Excerpt: “During the internship I went to a farm on... Read more »
- Urban farmers cultivate community and a connection to the land in Oklahoma CityPhoto Garett Fisbeck / Oklahoma Gazette) “The first step for a garden is not to overbuild it the first year,” he said. “Start with a 4-foot-by-8-foot garden. It needs to be small and manageable. It will become overwhelming if it’s too large.” By Greg Ewell Oklahoma Gazette Feb 17, 2017 Excerpt: CommonWealth Urban Farms of OKC... Read more »
- The University of Arizona Community Garden holds ‘Stories in the Garden’ eventPhoto by Monique Irish. Stories in the Garden incorporates food and inspired dialogue in the UA Community Garden. Dialogue can consist of poems, songs and stories from audience members related to a specific theme. By Marissa Heffernan The Daily Wildcat Feb 14, 2017 Excerpt: The crowd sat on an eclectic mashup of chairs and blanket-draped hay... Read more »
- Veggies from the ‘Giving Garden’ in Highland, CaliforniaMs. Wendt’s kindergarten class of Highland Congregational Church, U.C.C. are planning for their own Giving Garden plot. From the time my mother and dad created a “Victory Garden” in our backyard in St. Louis, Mo. during the second World War, until this day in Highland, I have been an enthusiastic gardener.... Read more »
- Meet Morristown, New Jersey’s Famous Farmer: Shaun AnankoShaun Ananko comes to the CSE greenhouse everyday to water the seeds that eventually will be planted at the Urban Farm. Photo by Mitchell Baker. The Urban Farm grows food for the Interfaith Food Pantry and Morristown High School. Remaining produce is sold at cost via the farm stand. By Mitchell Baker Morristown... Read more »