At Sustainable Economies Law Center (the Law Center), we want nothing more than to see the number of new urban agriculture projects and enterprises explode all across the country! To facilitate the growth of the urban agriculture movement, we offer this website as a collection of resources on laws and regulations that regulate who, how, and where urban agriculture can occur. As a collaborative effort, the content on UrbanAgLaw.org is created by a group of legal professionals and law students, and the site is curated by the Law Center.
Also, check out these handy guides we’ve created for people interested in starting new worker-owned enterprises and food justice enterprises!
- Isabella Rossellini Would Like to Introduce You to Her ChickensClick image to see larger file. Courtesy of Patrice Casanova, My Chickens and I (Abrams Image; 2018) In My Chickens and I, the actress and artist combines her love of animal behavior and her experience as a model, making her brood of heritage chickens the stars. By Jasmine Arielle Ting Vanity Fair March 22,... Read more »
- Aquaponics farmer Kenkel ’18 receives $1.6 million investmentTwo Springworks employees examine lettuce on the farm. Courtesy of Trevor Kenkel About 97 percent of America’s lettuce production is in Southern California and Arizona. By Sarah Drumm Bowdoin Orient February 9, 2018 Excerpt: In junior high, Kenkel started a small organic garden in his hometown in Montana. Frustrated by Montana’s short growing season, Kenkel... Read more »
- What Would Make Urban Agriculture in New York City More Equitable?Photo courtesy Bushwick City Farms. The city needs policies to support both well-funded, high-tech farm operations and community-run urban farms. By Lisa Held Civil Eats 03.05.18 Excerpt: Reverends Robert and DeVanie Jackson, founders of the Brooklyn Rescue Mission Urban Harvest Center in New York City, are proud of the fig trees and raised beds in their... Read more »
- Romania: Kaufland Romania is investing EUR 300,000 in a network of community urban gardensSolar Urban Bucuretii Noi Seven out of 10 Romanians are practitioners of so-called “urban agriculture” By Anda Sebesi Business Review Mar 19, 2018 Excerpt: Seven out of 10 Romanians are practitioners of so-called “urban agriculture”, which means they grow fruit, vegetables or herbs at home, according to a study conducted for Kaufland Romania. Based on this,... Read more »
- Indiana: Fishers to embrace agriculture in new city parkThe farm is expected to be operational this summer, with programming available. Fast-growing Fishers is preserving a 32-acre plot for an urban farm, to educate residents about food production while also helping to ease hunger. By Scott Olson North of 96th Mar 16, 2018 Excerpt: “We’re very excited about this project,” Fadness told IBJ. “We think... Read more »
- Uganda: “Our biggest challenge was the cow dung”Dr Diana Nambatya Nsubuga. Their farm called Kwagala has also been used to give a thousand local women training to improve urban farming methods By Alan Kasujja BBC World Service. Newsday Mar 16, 2018 (Must see. Mike) Urban farming is used in many parts of the world to improve food security... Read more »
- UK: Lambs arrive at Kentish Town City Farm in LondonVolunteer Louis Golfier with one of the lambs. ‘I have never seen a black lamb with a white head and tail’ By Helen Chapman Camden New Journal Mat 16, 2018 Excerpt: The young animals are said to bring more visitors to the city farm, spring being its busiest time of year. Twin lambs were born on... Read more »
- India: Profits mushroom for this urban farmerHer quest now is to set up an unique hotel that is dedicated to mushroom dishes in her husband’s home town of Kushalanagar in Kodagu district. Now I grow 50 to 60 kg of oyster mushrooms a month without engaging labour, and earn a profit of about ?30,000,” she says... Read more »
- Backyard Bounty: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Organic Gardening in the Pacific NorthwestPacked with a wealth of information specific to the Pacific Northwest By Linda A. Gilkeson New Society Publishers. 2018 Now completely updated and expanded, Backyard Bounty will demystify gardening, bringing it back to the down-to-earth, environmentally practical activity that anyone can enjoy. Planning your garden and preparing the soil Organic fertilizers and simplified composting Planting for winter... Read more »
- Norway: This chef built an urban farm in the ArcticVidmar’s lonely greenhouse is rich with produce all year-long thanks to seasonal crop swaps that take advantages of conditions. (Photo: NBC News/YouTube) When tapping into the ebb and flow of that challenging climate — the greenhouse is just 650 miles from the North Pole By Christian Cotroneo Mother Nature Network March 15, 2018 ... Read more »