Disclaimer: The Sustainable Economies Law Center no longer updates this website, so information may be inaccurate or out of date. We encourage you consult with a professional before taking action based on the information here. In case you’re looking for updated resources, visit our main Food Enterprise Resources page by clicking here.
Sustainable Economies Law Center created this website to facilitate the growth of the urban agriculture movement. We offer this resource as a collection of information on laws and regulations that regulate who, how, and where urban agriculture can occur. As a collaborative effort, the content on UrbanAgLaw.org was created by a group of legal professionals and law students, and the site is curated by the Law Center.
Also, check out these handy guides we’ve created for people interested in starting worker-owned enterprises and food justice enterprises!
- Google Ventures leads $90 million investment in Bowery to grow its indoor farming businessUber made confidential filing for IPO By Khari Johnson Venture Beat Dec 12, 2018 Excerpt: Bowery has opened two growing facilities near its headquarters in the New York area since the company began operations in February 2017. The funding announced today will be used to open new facilities in additional not-yet-named cities by the... Read more »
- China’s pioneer in greenhouse vegetable farmingWang built a new greenhouse which did not require coal but relied solely on sunlight for warmth in winter. Editor: Yang Yi Xinhua| 2018-12-09 Excerpt: Over the past three decades, Wang and other locals have developed several generations of greenhouses to make a good use of new and smart technology and large machinery, meeting... Read more »
- Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University of Applied Sciences conducts research on urban farming in growtainerProf. Dr. Heike Mempel heads the project group of the same name, dealing with scientific questions on possible advantages and disadvantages of a closed indoor farm without sunlight. Hochschule Weihenstephan-Triesdorf Fresh Plaza 12/7/2018 Excerpt: Photosynthesis. In one of the two compartments of the Growtainers, students of the 5th Horticulture semester will carry out... Read more »
- Denmark’s first roof farm may closed because of parking spacesThe roofhouse is used for plant production, restaurant and work space. Also it is used for lectures, tours and courses for school classes on organic farming and agriculture. Peter Nygaard Christensen Article in Danish translated by Google See article in Danish By Laura Friis WangInformation DK, 12 December 2018 Translated by Google: Copenhagen will be... Read more »
- Agricultural tourism catches on in JapanTourists experience agricultural work in Tono. | Photo courtesy of Tono Natural Life Network The goal of this exchange between city and rural residents is to stimulate the local economy, and to have local residents feel a sense of accomplishment and pride by hosting tourists. By Richard Smith Western Producer Dec 6, 2018 Excerpt: TONO,... Read more »
- Danone among backers of French urban farming start-up AgricoolThe Paris-based business said it is responding to reports which suggest that by 2030 20% of products consumed worldwide will come from urban farming – compared to 5% today. FoodBev Media Dec 7, 2018 Excerpt: With the new funding, Agricool aims to position itself as a key player in the vertical farming sector. The... Read more »
- Canada: Hôtel du Vieux-Québec’s rooftop garden2018 – For nine years in a row, since 2009, Hôtel du Vieux-Québec has been awarded 5/5 Green Keys from the Hotel Association of Canada’s Green Leaf Eco-Rating Program. Source: Hôtel du Vieux Québec website Excerpt: Hôtel du Vieux Québec has installed three green roofs. Our rooftop gardens grow an assortment of organic... Read more »
- How Atlanta Is Turning Ex-Cons Into Urban FarmersAn ambitious young activist is using the local food movement to help break the cycle of incarceration. By Jack Shafer Politico December 06, 2018 Excerpt: ATLANTA—On a 4-acre farm a few miles south of the Fulton County Jail, Abiodun Henderson swung a pickax into the soil at her feet. She kept at it until she... Read more »
- Canada: New Urban Learning Garden Takes Root in Downtown VictoriaHolly Dumbarton, Project Coordinator, Food Eco District, building a downtown district that celebrates food & sustainability. Downtown Victoria October 10, 2018 Excerpt: In September 2018, the Food Eco District (FED) and the LifeCycles Society Project joined forces to celebrate the Urban Learning Garden’s Grand Opening with an event that brought out some of the... Read more »
- Michelle Obama Lunchtime Visit Surprises New York GirlsFormer First Lady Michelle Obama meets two young girls during an appearance for her book, “Becoming,” in New York, Friday, Nov. 30, 2018. After lunch, Obama led a discussion with the girls, who are learning about urban farming and cooking. The lunch included produce from their rooftop garden. By Verena Dobnik Associated Press Dec... Read more »