Disclaimer: The Sustainable Economies Law Center no longer updates this website, so information may be inaccurate or out of date. We encourage you consult with a professional before taking action based on the information here. In case you’re looking for updated resources, visit our main Food Enterprise Resources page by clicking here.
Sustainable Economies Law Center created this website to facilitate the growth of the urban agriculture movement. We offer this resource as a collection of information on laws and regulations that regulate who, how, and where urban agriculture can occur. As a collaborative effort, the content on UrbanAgLaw.org was created by a group of legal professionals and law students, and the site is curated by the Law Center.
Also, check out these handy guides we’ve created for people interested in starting worker-owned enterprises and food justice enterprises!
- India: Farmer in the cityFresh from the field, BK Bhavya delivers greens to housing complexes an hour after harvest By Ranjani Govind The Hindu Apr 15, 2019 Excerpt: She delivers the produce to apartments within an hour of harvesting. “It’s been a dream come true for me to have this community service for busy… Read more »
- Inverness, Florida to build on success of city gardenThe Inverness City Garden has proven popular and now a motivation for a second city community garden. Matthew Beck “(The community garden) is also a statement from the city: This is a place to learn, live and thrive and not just a place to die on the vine,” he said.… Read more »
- Agriculture survey finds urban farming a hot commodity in UtahTyler Montague and Holiday Dalgleish weed garlic growing on a small lot in Millcreek on Friday, April 12, 2019. Montague and Dalgleish co-own Keep It Real Vegetables, an urban farming enterprise that grows fresh vegetables, leafy greens and all sorts of herbs on 10 parcels of land around the Salt… Read more »
- UK: Why gardening is so much more than a millennial fad to meMillennials are 88 per cent more likely to keep plants in their rooms than over 65 year-olds ( The Sill ) My family are one of the lucky few to have an allotment in London. With waiting lists that tend to span years, these plots of land are hard to… Read more »
- Singapore makes room for allotment gardens as urban farming takes rootSingapore now has more than 1,000 allotment gardens in a dozen of its national parks. Each is a raised planter bed measuring 2.5 meters by 1 meter, and can be leased for three years for S$57 ($42) annually. By Rina Chandran Reuters Apr 15, 2019 Excerpt: Rain or shine, every… Read more »
- UK: Community effort set to bloom at Chelsea Flower Show[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huaRGn8AOhw&w=425&h=341] A Swaffham community allotment and orchard project working to boost mental health is preparing a garden for the RHS Chelsea Flower Show this year. By Ben Hardy Lynn News 13 April 2019 Family Action’s ESCAPE Allotment and Orchard Community Project at Tumbler Hill in Swaffham. Family Action’s ESCAPE… Read more »
- Oliver Sacks: The Healing Power of GardensOliver Sacks with rare yellow magnolia in bloom at the NY Botanical Garden. Even for people who are deeply disabled neurologically, nature can be more powerful than any medication. By Oliver SacksNew York TimesDr. Sacks was a neurologist and author. He died in 2015.April 18, 2019 This is an excerpt… Read more »
- Oceanix City: This Concept Of Floating City Includes Food Production And Farming[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJgDiWTJVlo&w=425&h=341] “Every island has 3,000 square metres of outdoor agriculture that will also be designed so that it can be enjoyed as free space,” said Ingels. By Katharine Schwab Fast Company Apr 4, 2019 Excerpt: For Oceanix’s idea to work, all the food needed to feed every person living… Read more »
- Ireland: Business blooms in Belvedere College’s urban farmFish and clubs: students Eoin Regan (14) and Ray Taylor (17) “Urban farming is very good for growing crops such as herbs and salad greens, but it will not be used to grow staple crops such as barley and wheat,” says O’Donnell. Farm Ireland Independent ie. April 13, 2019 Excerpt:… Read more »
- India: Mysuru Man With Lung Ailment Grows 20+ Veggies in Award-Winning Garden!Prof Rudraradhya It may seem strange to you and me, but the mere activity of sowing seeds and tending plants on his rooftop spelt hope for the former professor. By Jovta Aranha The Better India Apr 11, 2019 Excerpt: He meticulously planned how he could best utilise the limited space… Read more »