At Sustainable Economies Law Center (the Law Center), we want nothing more than to see the number of new urban agriculture projects and enterprises explode all across the country! To facilitate the growth of the urban agriculture movement, we offer this website as a collection of resources on laws and regulations that regulate who, how, and where urban agriculture can occur. As a collaborative effort, the content on UrbanAgLaw.org is created by a group of legal professionals and law students, and the site is curated by the Law Center.
Also, check out these handy guides we’ve created for people interested in starting new worker-owned enterprises and food justice enterprises!
- Brooklyn AirBnB: Stylish Room w/ Rooftop Community Garden & LoungeEnjoy the rooftop garden, lounge and hammock while the sunsets over the Manhattan skyline. AirBnB Brooklyn, New York From the ad: Bushwick is the new Williamsburg. Named the trendiest neighbourhood in Brooklyn, the area is filled with cool cafes, bars, restaurants, vintage stores and street-art. Enjoy the rooftop garden, lounge and hammock while... Read more »
- Philippines: Taguig aims for better environment, healthier lifestyle through urban farmingUrban farming model at Tipas Elementary School /CREDIT: ilovetaguig.com / Manila Bulletin To encourage residents to create their own “urban farms,” the City Agriculture Office held the first Gulayan Contest for Women on December 19, 2016. Manila Bulletin Jan 15, 2017 Excerpt: Mayor Lani Cayetano said the city government intends to preserve at least... Read more »
- Bengaluru’s oldest urban farmer leads the way in sustainable livingAnusuya Sharma’s terrace farm grows everything from leafy veggies to medicinal plants and herbs. “The fresh chemical-free vegetables grown at home reduces my family’s carbon foot print, a core issue in global warming,” Anusuya says. By Theja Ram The News Minute Jan 14, 2017 Excerpt: “When I got married, I moved to Bombay. There were no... Read more »
- Many Urban Farmers Use Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)Portion of large infographic. See complete graphic here. Infographic By PartSelect GHHERGICH&Co. Oct 2016 Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a concept that gained traction in the US in the 1990s, and has grown exponentially in popularity in the last few years. The concept of a CSA is beneficial on many levels, both for farms and... Read more »
- Risks in urban rooftop agriculture: Assessing stakeholders’ perceptions to ensure efficient policymakingCartoonist: Jorodo. Key stakeholders in Berlin and Barcelona perceive several risks associated with rooftop agriculture. By Kathrin Spechta, Esther Sanyé-Mengualc Environmental Science and Policy March 2017 Abstract: Rooftop agriculture (RA) is an innovative form of urban agriculture that takes advantage of unused urban spaces while promoting local food production. However, the implementation of RA projects is... Read more »
- Towards Regenerated and Productive Vacant Areas through Urban Horticulture: Lessons from Bologna, ItalyPictures of urban horticulture projects in Bologna. Six case studies representing this variety of vacant areas were identified and evaluated By Daniela Gasperi, Giuseppina Pennisi, Niccolò Rizzati, Francesca Magrefi, Giovanni Bazzocchi, Umberto Mezzacapo, Monique Centrone Stefani, Esther Sanyé-Mengual, Francesco Orsini, and Giorgio Gianquinto Sustainability Journal December 2016 Abstract: In recent years, urban agriculture has been... Read more »
- Montreal’s urban agriculture pioneer Lufa Farms opens third rooftop greenhouse farmLauren Rathmell looks at rainbow chard growing on the Lufa Farms rooftop greenhouse on Tuesday January 17, 2017. Pierre Obendrauf / Montreal Gazette The newest, at 63,000 square feet more than double the size of the first, is the largest. By Susan Schwartz Montreal Gazette Jan 18, 2017 Excerpt: Last week Lufa Farms began to... Read more »
- Botanium – Grow Edible Greens[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBsXK4L3ZJE&w=425&h=341] Even here in Sweden it’s easy, and you don’t need a special “growing light”. Just put your plant under a standard CFL, fluorescent lamp or LED. By Rasmus Tretow Co-founder Botanic From Kickstarter: Botanium is a compact, easy and effortless way of growing. Its a hydroponic pot, which means it grows plants like chilies,... Read more »
- Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg Spent Martin Luther King Day Building a Community Garden in Oak Cliff, TexasMark Zuckerberg: “Today I helped plant a garden with members of the Oak Cliff community in Dallas as part of their Day of Service honoring Martin Luther King Jr. Oak Cliff is a food desert, so the garden we worked on is going to be a source of fresh fruits... Read more »
- Liberia: Sharing The Economic Benefits Of Urban AgricultureWorking on my nursery planted with cabbage and collard greens. The Government of Liberia launched its urban and peri-urban farming program in 2011 to create jobs for the urban poor and to increase food production, especially in cities. By Judoemue Kollie Daily Observer 01/11/2017 Excerpt: For me, realizing the skills I acquired in general agriculture from... Read more »