Disclaimer: The Sustainable Economies Law Center no longer updates this website, so information may be inaccurate or out of date. We encourage you consult with a professional before taking action based on the information here. In case you’re looking for updated resources, visit our main Food Enterprise Resources page by clicking here.
Sustainable Economies Law Center created this website to facilitate the growth of the urban agriculture movement. We offer this resource as a collection of information on laws and regulations that regulate who, how, and where urban agriculture can occur. As a collaborative effort, the content on UrbanAgLaw.org was created by a group of legal professionals and law students, and the site is curated by the Law Center.
Also, check out these handy guides we’ve created for people interested in starting worker-owned enterprises and food justice enterprises!
- Episode 80 podcast: Urban Buds City Grown Flowers in St. LouisMeet Mimo and Miranda: Mimo came to Urban Buds after years of growing native plants at the Missouri Wildflowers Nursery and successfully running WildThang Farms in Ashland, Missouri for a decade. Miranda brings over fifteen years of farming vegetables, livestock, and fruit to the farm. On a nearly one-acre flower… Read more »
- UK: Oxford City Farm growing strong this winterCommunity farming session at the Oxford City Farm. Volunteer and Partnerships Coordinator Sally Mullard is pictured feeding the chickens. 08/02/2020 Picture by Ed Nix Volunteers at an urban farm in the heart of East Oxford have been busy creating a forest garden and tending to animals as the site continues… Read more »
- India: Pune City institutes begin organic farming in barren patches on their campusesProject Sanvardhan, as students of the SNDT College of Home Science call their garden project, is already yielding fresh produce that they can take home or use on campus. “The students are being taught how to grow their own food, as well as live in a less polluting environment.” By… Read more »
- Robot farmers are changing the future of agricultureYou can’t tell from the outside, but this is a bustling produce farm that has tested over 100 varieties of leafy greens. Megan Wollerton/CNET A robot named Sam rules over this atypical Ohio farm. By Megan Wollerton CNET February 9, 2020 Excerpt: It’s a cloudy day in early October and… Read more »
- Northern Ireland: Belfast ‘urban farms’ plan being pushed by councillorsBelfast’s city Hall (Image: instagram/rudgerdejonge) The motion will be debated at a committee later this month. By Michael Kenwood Belfast Live Local democracy reporter 8 Feb 2020 Excerpt: Belfast Council will debate a proposal to create the city’s first major urban farm on land owned by the city’s ratepayers. SDLP… Read more »
- Call for papers / Agriculture in Urban Food Systems: Models and Practices.At The Cottage Door. Foster, Myles Birket. 1895 Urban agriculture is often considered as a framework within which many solutions can be found. Prof. Davide Marino E-Mail Website Guest Editor Department of Biosciences and Territory, University of Molise, 86100 Campobasso, Italy Mr. Giampiero Mazzocchi Assistant Guest Editor Architecture and Construction,… Read more »
- Australia: Labor Promises Urban Farm For West EndRachel Gallagher, Labor’s candidate for The Gabba ward, with Labor’s Lord Mayoral candidate, Patrick Condren, announced on Saturday 8th of February, that Labor is committed to the expansion of West End’s Jane Street Community Garden to an urban farm. Brisbane’s Westender Feb 10, 2020 Excerpt: “We will deliver a fully… Read more »