At Sustainable Economies Law Center (the Law Center), we want nothing more than to see the number of new urban agriculture projects and enterprises explode all across the country! To facilitate the growth of the urban agriculture movement, we offer this website as a collection of resources on laws and regulations that regulate who, how, and where urban agriculture can occur. As a collaborative effort, the content on UrbanAgLaw.org is created by a group of legal professionals and law students, and the site is curated by the Law Center.
Also, check out these handy guides we’ve created for people interested in starting new worker-owned enterprises and food justice enterprises!
- Backyard Bounty: The Complete Guide to Year-Round Organic Gardening in the Pacific NorthwestPacked with a wealth of information specific to the Pacific Northwest By Linda A. Gilkeson New Society Publishers. 2018 Now completely updated and expanded, Backyard Bounty will demystify gardening, bringing it back to the down-to-earth, environmentally practical activity that anyone can enjoy. Planning your garden and preparing the soil Organic fertilizers and simplified composting Planting for winter... Read more »
- Norway: This chef built an urban farm in the ArcticVidmar’s lonely greenhouse is rich with produce all year-long thanks to seasonal crop swaps that take advantages of conditions. (Photo: NBC News/YouTube) When tapping into the ebb and flow of that challenging climate — the greenhouse is just 650 miles from the North Pole By Christian Cotroneo Mother Nature Network March 15, 2018 ... Read more »
- Venezuela to Expand Small-Scale Urban AgriculturePresident Maduro and Urban Agriculture Minister Freddy Bernal launch the Plan 2018 (Ministry for Urban Agriculture) Government projections suggest that small scale urban agriculture can cover 20% of national food demand within three years. By Paul Dobson Venezuela Anaylsis Mar 19th 2018 Excerpt: Venezuela revealed that it is looking to expand grassroots and family-based urban food... Read more »
- Canada: A Growing Concern – How to Keep Farmland in the Hands of Canadian FarmersSome witnesses said there is still a risk that farmland owned by non-agricultural investors will not be used for agriculture and will eventually be sold for other purposes. To this end, strengthening the legislative framework for farmland protection would make a major difference. Report of the Standing Senate Committee on Agriculture... Read more »
- One hive at a time, backyard beekeepers try saving Detroit, the worldKeith Crispen, 32, of Detroit, left, and Timothy Paule, 34, of Detroit started a nonprofit called Detroit Hives that transformed a vacant lot on the east side of Detroit to a bee hive and future farm. (Photo: Kimberly P. Mitchell, Detroit Free Press) Mike Hansen, the state apiarist who oversees commercial... Read more »
- American Veterinarian: Unregulated Backyard Chickens Pose Health Risk, Study SaysClick image to see larger file. A UC Davis study is calling for more regulations regarding chickens being raised in urban and suburban settings. By Amanda Carrozza American Veterinarian March 12, 2018 Excerpt: While it is difficult to pinpoint the exact number of Americans who currently raise chickens in urban and suburban environments, a... Read more »
- UK: Mayor visits sheep and apprentices at Mudchute city farm on the Isle of DogsMayor Biggs wasn’t sheepish about meeting the animals at Mudchute urban farm on the Isle of Dogs. Picture source: LBTH The money to pay for their training comes from levies that the council, like all local authorities, charges developers for planning consent on major schemes, to benefit the community. By Mike Brooke East... Read more »
- Behind the Rise and Fall of Growing PowerGrowing Power’s Milwaukee farm. (Photo credit: Will Allen) The urban farming powerhouse had a global reputation. Then, it collapsed last year under mounting debt, prompting big questions about what happened and what comes next. By Stephen Satterfield Civil Eats 03.13.18 Excerpt: People close to the organization were saddened by the news of its dissolution, but many... Read more »
- Slovakia: Community Garden Sets ‘Good Practice’ exampleCommunity Garden Ružinov, Bratislava, Slovakia Interreg Danube 12-03-2018 Excerpt: The community garden Ružinov was built at the beginning of this year on the neglected place in the city of Bratislava in Slovakia which was used as a volleyball court of primary school in the past. Currently, this land is rented for free by... Read more »
- Plan To Promote Kitchen Gardening Culture In Punjab[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gatm7AvUv0&w=425&h=341] A 2012 video showing an earlier program by the Government of Punjab. Punjab agriculture department has sold 50,000 summer vegetable seed kits on subsidized rates across the province. By Mohammad Ali Urdu Point Mar 28, 2018 Excerpt: SIALKOT, (UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News – 12th Mar, 2018. Punjab agriculture department has sold 50,000 summer... Read more »