Disclaimer: The Sustainable Economies Law Center no longer updates this website, so information may be inaccurate or out of date. We encourage you consult with a professional before taking action based on the information here. In case you’re looking for updated resources, visit our main Food Enterprise Resources page by clicking here.
Sustainable Economies Law Center created this website to facilitate the growth of the urban agriculture movement. We offer this resource as a collection of information on laws and regulations that regulate who, how, and where urban agriculture can occur. As a collaborative effort, the content on UrbanAgLaw.org was created by a group of legal professionals and law students, and the site is curated by the Law Center.
Also, check out these handy guides we’ve created for people interested in starting worker-owned enterprises and food justice enterprises!
- Dalhousie University Offers Urban Agriculture CoursesDalhousie students. Welcome – Introduction To Urban And Peri-Urban Agriculture Professor Robert L. France ENVA 2003 Introduction to Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture (A) (H) CREDIT HOURS: 3 Long considered a sustenance necessity in the Global South, peri-urban and urban agriculture (UA) is experiencing a resurgence in popularity in developed nations,… Read more »
- Integrated Urban Agriculture: Precedents, Practices, Prospects PaperbackNever has such a group of noted urban agriculture scholars been collected together in a single volume. By Robert L. France (Editor)Libri PublishingJul 1 2016 Edited by R.L. France) explores the production, distribution, and marketing of food within and at the edge of cities as one of the major strategies… Read more »
- A look inside the first certified organic rooftop farm in the country in Chicago“We don’t use any conventional fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides. We don’t use anything that’s genetically modified,” Cameron said. By Jalyn Henderson ABC7 July 12, 2019 Excerpt: On the corner of Devon and Glenwood Ave. in Edgewater, sits Uncommon Ground. “A small working farm that provided food for a restaurant, provided… Read more »
- New York City’s largest rooftop farm sprouts up in BrooklynA paver system is installed at the Brooklyn Grange’s Sunset Park farm. Photo courtesy of Brooklyn Grange. “There’s no reason we can’t have a Brooklyn Grange on the top of every NYCHA building so they can grow healthy food and live a healthy lifestyle. By Scott Enman Brooklyn Eagle August… Read more »
- Hydroponic mobile farms to let anyone grow vegetables in Hong Kong, slashing carbon footprintsFarmacy grows vegetables and herbs hydroponically in Causeway Bay, and is trialling mobile farms. Co-founder Raymond Mak talks about cutting Hong Kong’s carbon footprint and delivering fresh produce. Photo: Jonathan Wong Mobile farming trial is successful Technology is the latest brainchild of team of University of Hong Kong MBAs behind… Read more »
- Canada: This Etobicoke man ditched his IT job to start a backyard farmJessey and Misha use a Greenhouse to extend the growing seasons of certain veggies. Right now, it’s filled with crops that love the heat, like tomatoes, peppers and eggplants By Jean Grant, Photography By Shane Fester Toronto Life August 12, 2019 Read the complete article here. The following year, they… Read more »
- Climate change threatens the world’s food supply, UN experts sayThe report offered a measure of hope, laying out pathways to addressing the looming food crisis, although they would require a major reevaluation of land use and agriculture worldwide as well as consumer behavior. By Christopher Flavelle The New York Times Aug. 8, 2019 Excerpt: The report, prepared by more… Read more »
- Gardening goats – Philadelphia non-profit brings “goat grazing” to community garden and new path for volunteersMargy’s son has autism and first started working with the goats through a paid internship at the Awbury Arboretum. The Philly Goat Project By Kelly Rule Fox 29 Aug 11, 2019 Excerpt: There’s a patch of grassy land that can be seen to the right of the Vine Street Expressway… Read more »
- The role of urban agriculture amongst refugees and forced migrants in the Kurdistan region of IraqDecorative and productive food garden, Domiz Camp (copyright Mikey Tomkins 2016). Urban agriculture and greening innovation is a powerful force that can help refugees and forced migrants to take control over their lives and local environments By M. Tomkins, S. Yousef , A. Adam-Bradford, C. Perkins, E. Grosrenaud, M. Mctough… Read more »
- Angelina Jolie made a stop at the nearby Ohio City FarmJolie Celebrates Son Maddox’s 18th Birthday at Cleveland Farm By Kelly Braun Closer Weekly Aug 9, 2019 Excerpt: Following their scrumptious meal at the brewery — which is actually owned by Loung’s husband, Mark Premier — Ang and Maddox also made a stop at the nearby Ohio City Farm. The… Read more »